Sunday, March 21, 2010

because they're lips move

I always assume that anyone who wants me to pay them money, for any reason whatsoever, is lying to me. It's better than assuming they are not and end up getting burned.

And I always assume that anything any official corporate or government spokesperson or politician says is a lie. Because, odds are, it is. They'd have little reason to speak otherwise.

Because they all know very well that to speak out is to invite trouble. Never call attention to yourself unless absolutely necessary. And always deny everything you can.

I'd say that the exception to this rule is for advertising purposes, but it's only half an exception: you must speak up to advertise, of course; but most ads inherently lie.

I'm assuming here that exaggeration is a form of lying. If a product or service is as good as they claim it is, they would have no need at all to advertise it. People would know.

And while I'm on the subject of advertising, I don't care how well meaning your organization is or how much I might socially or politically agree with you, if you're going to call me up and leave a message on my machine that goes on and on forever (the last one, today, was over a minute long), at best I'm going to disregard it; or, worse, if I'm in a foul mood, I'm going to refuse to support you altogether or even switch my allegiance to your opponent if their "cause" is anywhere intelligible (because I find myself on the fence about a lot of issues). Stop calling me, assholes! I don't want to hear your messages! My phone is a utility, not your mechanism of mass communication.

Support Corporate Dismantlement

.

No comments:

Post a Comment